Does Your Industrial Warehouse Need an Energy Efficiency Certificate?

 in the category Blog en, Blog news, news, Press room

Nowadays, there is a growing concern for whether or not Industrial warehouses are required to have an energy certificate. For that reason, this article will describe how the law affects warehouses as well as any exemptions and exceptions that may be involved.


Since 2007, all newly built construction are required to have an energy efficiency certificate. For this reason, all living spaces that are meant to be bought or rented should have an energy certificate.


Our previous article described how energy performance certificates work for living spaces. This certificate is mandatory for owners but for renters, it has to surpass a certain number of months. If one wishes to sell you living space they must present the certificate before it can be bought, as an owner there is an obligation to turn in the certificate. If you need more information about this topic, you can find it by searching through the procedure on the Spanish BOE page.


For Industrial buildings, which is what we are discussing in this article, it is important to have a certificate of energy efficiency but with a few differences. The Spanish law, in Article 2.2 of R.D. 235/2013 the exceptions to the law are established, the following is described within the text: Excluded from the scope of this regulation:…Industrial Buildings,…or parts of the building, in the parts meant for workshops, industrial processes, etc.


Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain a certificate for the majority of Industrial warehouse spaces as there is no legal obligation to present the certificate of industrial real estate that is registered as a workshop or for storage purposes. It is also not mandatory for parking spaces, regardless of the type of building it is found in.


In the next section, we will indicate a series of aspects to keep in mind for industrial buildings:



Energy Certification Exemption in Industrial Buildings


Non-habitable establishments:

There is no requirement for these building to have a certificate of energy efficiency. However, when the venue is refurbished and made habitable, it should have a certificate of energy efficiency as it serves a different purpose and it is considered a new construction.

Do the offices located within a warehouse, storage unit or workshop need to be certified?


– The sections of industrial buildings that are meant to be workshops and for industrial processes are excluded from the scope of application of the aforementioned Royal Decree.

– If there are offices, they should be certified when the building is rented or sold, while only in the case if they have a useful surface equal to or higher than 50 m2.

-Parts of the warehouse that are officially protected for any reason based on the historical value or architectural value.

-Temporary constructions (that do not surpass 2 years).

– In the event that a warehouse needs important reformations and it is sold, it may also be exempt from an energy certificate, although the notary should reflect that in writing.


Energy Certificates for Offices: Offices require a certificate when the building is sold or rented, solely when they do not surpass 50 m2.


Which would make small industrial and workshop warehouses exempt, which is why  they are commonly located in urban areas.


Open space Warehouses and energy certificates: In recent years, many industrial warehouses have been completed utilizing their exterior structure. In this case, the new owner should make reformations to make it more habitable and it requires an activity licence.


Energy certificates are not mandatory for those installations that are not meant to be inhabited. As it is not meant for that purpose, the energy consumption is not equivalent to that of a property that would be meant for people to utilize for any number of reasons.


However, the following include processes that are necessary for the construction of an industrial warehouse:


-It is necessary to contract a geotechnical study of the terrain. The property developer should be in charge of this task.

-The property developer should take on the work of the projects that are necessary for construction and both the developer and creators of the project should sign off on the project.

-The documentation should be sent in order to write up the project (a complete description of the project).

-It is important to create the project envisioned as a professional space.

-Present the project, which requires a work licence, to the town hall.

-Wait the estimated time for the license to be issued.

-Contract the construction team (security plan, opening of the work centre, carry out the remaining documentation).

-When the licence is issued and the construction team is hired, the plan is reformulated in the town hall.

-When the work is finished, the final work certificate is issued, which will have all of the plans and changes that have occurred throughout the work attached.

-Lastly, the act of reception of the construction work should be signed and the act of reception of the construction work, which should be signed by the contractor as well as the developer.


If you would like more information about this or other subjects, do not hesitate to contact us at or read related articles on our website

Recommended post